Grapevine nutrition is important for the health and productivity of a vineyard. Whether this nutrition comes from the soil or through applications, know what, and how much, a plant is using and what to apply is critical. Please refer to the following publications relating to vine nutrition management and soil fertility.
Nutrient Digest – A newsletter for the Western US!
Tissue Sampling and Nutrient Management
- Vineyard Nutrient Management in Washington State – WSU #EM111
- WESTERN WA – Grapevine Nutrition Module – OSU #EM9024
- Analytical Labs – After clicking on the link, select “Browse by Services” on the left. Under Nutrition, select “Plant Nutrition.”
Soil pH & Remediation
- Soil Characteristics and Quality – A WSU Extension website with great information regarding soils. While tree-fruit focused, it has excellent information especially relating to replant issues.
- Managing Salt-Affected Soils for Crop Production – PNW #601e
- Acidifying Soil for Crop Production – Inland Pacific Northwest – #PNW599e
- Changing Soil pH (.pdf) – UC-Davis Viticulture Extension
Soil Sampling and Nutrient Management
- Vineyard Nutrient Management in Washington State WSU #EM111
- Soil Sampling and Testing Guidelines – WSU Website
- ORGANIC – Soil Fertility in Organic Systems – #PNW644
- ORGANIC – Fertilizing with Manure and Other Organic Amendments – #PNW533
- Soil Sampling (.pdf)– UI #EB704
- Soil Test Interpretation Guide – OSU #EC1478
- Analytical Labs and Consultants can provide soil testing for herbicide residues, and general soil characteristics before you plant.
- Select “Browse by Services” on the above website. Labs listed under “Chemical Analyses, Agriculture” and “Environmental” likely do soil testing.
- Nematode testing information – Visit our Disease, Pests, and Weed Management Page
Understanding Fertilizer Calculations and Nutrient Availability
- Baseline Soil Nitrogen Mineralization: Measurement and Interpretation – OSU #EM9281
- Understanding and Measuring Organic Matter in Soil – WSU #EM118e
- Calculating Chemigation Injection Rates – WSU #FS035E
- ORGANIC – Organic Fertilizer Calculator – OSU Website
- ORGANIC – Understanding C:N Ratios and Using the Organic Fertilizer Calculator (.pdf) – WSU Presentation