- This event has passed.
2022 Viticulture Intern Boot Camp
May 24, 2022 @ 8:15 am - 5:15 pm$75
This all-day workshop is targeted to provide a baseline level of knowledge to company interns specializing in activities or training related to Washington State viticulture. The idea is to train interns in: 1) What Happens Throughout a WA Growing Season, 2) Pest and Disease Scouting, 3) Cold Damage and Yield Estimation, 4) Nutrient Disorder Identification and Understanding Fertilizers, and 5) General Internship Planning and Organization. Participants will have both in-class and in-vineyard experiences, and will also begin to develop a resource guide they can reference throughout their internship and beyond.
Individuals classified as “interns” in a Washington State Viticulture industry-related field (vineyard management, crop consulting, etc). Individuals must be registered by a Washington State employer, and preferably be a student pursing a post-secondary school degree in viticulture or a related field.
After participating in this boot camp, interns should be able to:
- Understand the timing of major viticulture activities in Washington State vineyards.
- Identify major pests and diseases in Washington Viticulture, and how to best scout and sample for them.
- Identify cold damage, and understand how and when to best estimate yield in vineyards.
- Distinguish between most major nutrient deficiencies, read a soil and tissue test report, and understand basic fertilizer calculations.
- Effectively plan out their internship reports, and learn how to be proactive in engaging their internship mentors.
Registration is limited to 30 people, and will close on 17 May 2022. Registration requires a password, so please email email@example.com to obtain the password. Please provide the name and location of the company that will be sending interns in your email request.
Registration URL: https://www.eventbrite.com/e/2022-washington-state-university-viticulture-intern-boot-camp-tickets-321393425387
The fees for this workshop cover all workshop handouts, printed extension publications (including the Field Guide for IPM in PNW vineyards and the 2022 Grape Pest Management Guide), and lunch. Registration will be $75.
- 8:15 – Welcome
- 8:30 – Roundtable Introduction
- 8:45 – Module 1 – A Viticulture Year in Review
- 9:15 – Module 2 – Pest and Disease Scouting – Classroom
- 10:00 – Break
- 10:15 – Module 2 – Continued
- 11:00 – Transition to Field
- 11:15 – Module 2 – Pest and Disease Scouting Activity – Vineyard
- 12:00 – Transition to Classroom / Lunch
- 1:00 – Module 3 – Cold Damage Assessment and Yield Estimation – Classroom
- 1:45 – Transition to Field
- 2:00 – Module 3 – Yield Estimation Activity – Vineyard
- 2:30 – Return to Classroom / break
- 3:00 – Module 4 – Vine Nutrition and Nutrient Disorders – Classroom
- 3:45 – Module 4 – Interpreting Soil and Tissue Tests – Activity
- 4:30 – Module 5 – Professional Development and Optimizing Your Internship Experience – Classroom
- 5:00 Session Wrap-up
Anyone attending this program who requires auxiliary aids or services, please contact Michelle Moyer at 509-786-9234 or firstname.lastname@example.org. Extension programs and employment are available to all without discrimination. Evidence of noncompliance may be reported through your local Extension office.