- This event has passed.
2021 Viticulture Intern Boot Camp
June 3, 2021 - June 4, 2021
This workshop is targeted to provide a baseline level of knowledge to company interns specializing in activities or training related to Washington State viticulture. The idea is to train interns in: 1) What Happens Throughout a WA Growing Season, 2) Pest and Disease Scouting, 3) Cold Damage and Yield Estimation, 4) Nutrient Disorder Identification and Understanding Fertilizers, and 5) General Internship Planning and Organization. Participants will have both in-class and in-vineyard experiences, and will also begin to develop a resource guide they can reference throughout their internship and beyond.
Individuals classified as “interns” in a Washington State Viticulture industry-related field (vineyard management, crop consulting, etc). Individuals must be registered by a Washington State employer, and preferably be a student pursing a post-secondary school degree in viticulture or a related field.
After participating in this boot camp, interns should be able to:
- Understand the timing of major viticulture activities in Washington State vineyards.
- Identify major pests and diseases in Washington Viticulture, and how to best scout and sample for them.
- Identify cold damage, and understand how and when to best estimate yield in vineyards.
- Distinguish between most major nutrient deficiencies, read a soil and tissue test report, and understand basic fertilizer calculations.
- Effectively plan out their internship reports, and learn how to be proactive in engaging their internship mentors.
This event will be a hybrid virtual and in-person workshop. Video lectures will be provided for viewing before and after the event date. On the event date, we will complete the scheduled scouting and hands-on activities.
To participate, an intern must be registered by their company. For registration information, please email Michelle Moyer (firstname.lastname@example.org) for registration link details.
Registration Fee: $20
Registration deadline : May 28, 2021
Registration fees include all handouts (including 2021 Grape Pest Management Guide, Field Guide for IPM in PNW Vineyards, etc), scouting tools (hand lens, counters), and refreshments.
This event has been subsidized by Washington State University Extension IPM Program sponsored by USDA-EIPM.
Pre-Workshop Online Videos: These videos will be available prior to the workshop, and should be watched before attending. Viewing links will be emailed after registration.
- Module 1 – A Viticulture Year in Review
- Module 2 – Pest and Disease Scouting
- Module 3 – Cold Damage Assessment and Yield Estimation
- Module 4 – Vine Nutrition and Nutrient Disorders
- Module 5 – Professional Development and Optimizing Your Internship Experience
Day-Of Workshop Activities:
- 8:30 – Welcome, COVID-19 Attestations, and Pre-survey at WSU Prosser IAREC Pavilion
- 8:45 – Roundtable Introduction
- 9:00 – Introduction to the Day’s Activities
- 9:30 – Break & Walk to vineyard.
- 9:45 – Pest and Disease Scouting
- 10:15 – Yield Estimation
- 10:45 – Return to Pavilion & Break
- 11:00 – Vine Nutrient Activity
- 11:45 – Activity wrap-up and Post-survey
COVID-19 Precautions: Location guidelines, all participants will be asked to complete a COVID-19 Attestation at the start of the workshop. Participants will also be required to maintain a 6-foot social distance from other participants, and wear a facemask.
Anyone attending this program who requires auxiliary aids or services, please contact Michelle Moyer at 509-786-9234 or email@example.com. Extension programs and employment are available to all without discrimination. Evidence of noncompliance may be reported through your local Extension office.