Perennia Food and Agriculture Corporation is Nova Scotia’s development agency focusing on the food sector. Our mission is to support success, transformation and economic development in Nova Scotia’s agriculture, seafood, cannabis, and food and beverage sectors. That means our team of bright, engaged specialists are always learning, always evolving, and always ready to take on a new challenge. So, what are you waiting for?
Perennia is looking for a highly capable Viticulturist to work with Nova Scotia’s amazing growers and winemakers to continue to grow the world class grape-wine industry in Nova Scotia. As a key member of our team, you will provide specialized production advice and expert guidance to winegrape growers across the province. Nova Scotia is an emerging wine region and home of the Tidal Bay appellation, a one-of-akind for North America. Helping Nova Scotia’s wine-grape industry continue to grow by being part of an interdisciplinary team at Perennia is a unique opportunity for a professional who wants to make a huge impact and be part of the next chapter in building Nova Scotia’s legacy for innovative and amazing wines. The Viticulturist is a high-profile position and as such, must have sound and mature judgement. They must be able to work effectively with a variety of stakeholders and clients under minimal supervision. Using current knowledge in a wide range of production areas (grape growing, technological innovations, outreach methods, pest management, cool climate varietals, and emerging trends), the goal of the Viticulturist is to work with industry to grow the wine-grape industry in Nova Scotia to the economic benefit of the province.
- Work as part of a progressive and professional horticulture team with the primary focus to develop and lead a comprehensive extension program for winegrape producers that will help the Nova Scotia wine industry improve productivity, enhance competitiveness, and create new opportunities
- Respond to agriculture production inquiries (in-person and remotely)
- Transfer new technologies and management practices to industry via presentations and field days
- Develop production specific information for a producer audience including, fact sheets, blog posts, videos, webinars, etc.
- Participate in and/or lead research field trials identified as priorities by industry
- Act as an advisor to government and industry associations
- Represent Perennia on industry associations, provincial and national working groups and committees as needed
- Identify new research or opportunities for horticulture that, if advanced, would have a positive impact on sector sustainability and/or growth
COME GROW WITH US.
In order to excel at this position, the successful applicant will have:
- M.Sc. or equivalent experience in Viticulture, Horticulture, or Agriculture (mandatory)
- Professional Agrologist (P.Ag.) designation or willing to acquire (mandatory)
- Certified Crop Advisor (CCA) and/or Certified
- Nutrient Management Planner (CNMP) designation(s) would be an asset
- Minimum of two years experience in the horticulture industry with experience in extension, knowledge transfer and applied research
- Experience or training in oenology would be considered an asset
- Knowledge of soils, drainage, nutrient management, insects, wildlife pests, weed management, trellising, canopy management, and crop harvesting and handling
- Experience in technology-based knowledge transfer to the agriculture industry would be an asset with demonstrated experience or aptitude in blogs, videos, podcasts and/or webinars
- Experience in experimental design and statistical analysis
- Good observational and diagnostics skills
- The ability to develop successful relationships with
- colleagues, producers, industry associations and government is essential
- Excellent organization, interpersonal, communication, facilitation, time management and computer skills
- Experience in project management would be an asset.
Perennia offers a competitive compensation package including salary commensurate with experience, health and dental plans, matching RRSPs, personal days and three weeks vacation to start. Perennia’s team philosophy is founded on impact, engagement and ownership. We have an amazingly talented and collaborative team passionate about the work we do and the industries we work with. We want our team members to do the best and be the best. We offer a flexible work environment realizing rich personal lives lead to productive and energized team members. We also are committed to making sure we are all constantly learning and growing and bringing new ideas and value to our sectors. We’re a unique team and hope you want to be part of it.
To apply for this exciting new position at Perennia, please email a combined PDF cover letter noting compensation expectations to firstname.lastname@example.org. We are actively recruiting for this position and if you are interested, we encourage you to apply as soon as possible. Only those granted interviews will be contacted. For more information about Perennia visit their website at www.perennia.ca
Perennia is an equal opportunity employer