Lobo Hills Wine Co.
PLEASE NOTE: To apply, provide us with a cover letter describing why you are interested in the position and a resume that captures your relevant experience. Please send your resume and cover letter to Tony@lobohills.com
Position Purpose: The Cellar Assistant will work closely with the winemaker to produce ultra-premium wine from small (1 ton) to medium (12 ton) lots that require close attention throughout the entire process.
About Us – Lobo Hills Wine Co.
We love what we do, whether it’s in the tasting room or cellar. Our focus as a winery is to create ultra- premium wine using a minimalist approach. What we produce is diverse and varied from premier Chardonnay to Auxerrois; from Barbera to Cabernet Franc. We geek out when talking about wine and its crafting, and we work hard to make wine that is incredible to the taste.
Who You Are
The Cellar Assistant is where you begin a wine-making journey at Lobo Hills. You need to bring a passion for wine and the wine industry, wanting to learn the craft, science and art behind what we do. You’ll want to take initiative – perhaps seeing benefits or obstacles and you’ll propose solutions while being physically able to execute on the path. You realize that a craft is learned; that your curiosity will inform much of your journey. Of course, making wine is physically demanding – this is not a desk jockey job. You know you can work hard and be independent when appropriate and you bring the physical strength and stamina to see the day through. You are highly organized, able to multitask and prioritize effectively to meet production goals. You’ll be able to work with a slightly absent-minded winemaker, who processes in his head but solicits input and options – all geared to optimizing wine quality. Then, at the day’s end, you want to have pride in a job well done and enjoy the fruits of your labor.
What You Will Do
• Performs all aspects of cellar work, including wine transfers, racking, topping, filtering, bottling, sanitization, forklift driving and barrel work
• Carries out day-to-day cellar procedures in a timely manner in order to meet a production schedule
• Assists with training and supervising temporary employees, harvest interns and seasonal staff
• Assists with work order generation and data entry
• Oversees laboratory analysis, sampling, and management of routine topping and SO2 additions
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills
• A minimum of two years previous cellar experience required
• A degree in Enology or Viticulture preferred but not required
• Ability to manage changing priorities while maintaining a positive attitude
• Ability to work a flexible schedule, including weekends, holidays, seasonal night duties, and
• Ability to drive a forklift
• Possession of a valid driver’s license
• Physical fitness with the ability to lift and carry up to 50lb, and to handle 100lb barrels
• Proficient with Microsoft Office, Excel, Word
What You Will Bring
• Hard-working, independent and self-motivated, with a positive, ‘can-do’ attitude
• Highly efficient with use of his/her time, with an ability to multitask and prioritize effectively to
meet production goals
• Takes pride and receives satisfaction in high quality output
• Performs well in a team environment and contributes to a positive winery atmosphere
Lobo Hills Wine Company is an equal opportunity employer. We consider qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, disability, gender identity, protected veteran status, or other protected class. To apply, provide us with a cover letter explaining why you are interested in the position and a resume that captures your prior experience relevant to the position.
Job Posted: Friday, May 19th
Type of Work: Full Time
Job Level: Associate
Compensation: $21 to $24 / hour
Lobo Hills Wine Co.