Job description: Viticulture Intern
Results Partners is a vineyard management company serving vineyards in both the Willamette Valley and Columbia Valley. This position will be based in our Columbia Valley region, where we manage vineyards for clients in the Walla Walla, Red Mountain, and Columbia Gorge AVAs. We are seeking a seasonal Viticulture Intern to work with our Columbia Valley team. In addition to supporting our viticulture department, this job offers the opportunity to learn about the daily farming operations of client vineyards.
The individual in this position will work primarily in the Walla Walla valley, periodically on Red Mountain (Benton City, WA), with only occasional travel to The Dalles, OR. The individual must have reliable transportation. The Viticulture Intern reports directly to the Senior Viticulturist for the Columbia Valley. The individual will assist the Senior Viticulturist and the Viticulture/Operations Technician with data collection for crop estimation, some pest & disease scouting, data collection for vineyard mapping, sampling for tissue analyses and grape maturity, distributing supplies to work sites, and harvest activities. There will be opportunities for continuing education in the form of field days, industry meetings, and direct work with the Senior Viticulturist and the Operations Manager.
This position is ideal for an individual who enjoys working outside, is eager to learn, and has a strong work ethic. Our Columbia Valley team is growing and is seeking an energetic student, recent graduate, or other individual interested in a season of exploring the wine industry from the vineyard.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- General data collection and entry
- Pest and disease scouting
- Collect data for yield estimation
- Collect soil, tissue, and water samples as needed
- Collect vine population data
- Assist with weed surveys
- Distribute work supplies
- Observe and assist with irrigation
- Able to work independently
- Able to complete repetitive tasks accurately and thoroughly
- Must be able to work long days outside in variable weather, year-round
- Experience or academic training in viticulture a plus
- Strong communication skills in English; Spanish speaking skills a plus
- Strong problem-solving skills
- Must be computer literate with experience in Excel
- Must have a good driving record and dependable transportation
- Must work long hours as required (6 days a week during our busy time)
- Able to lift 40 pounds
Julie Tarara, Ph.D.
Senior Viticulturist, Results Partners