Lake Chelan Winery | Wapato Point Cellars | Washington Gold Cider
Lake Chelan Trading Company
3519 Hwy 150
Chelan, WA 98816
Assistant Wine & Cider Maker Job Description:
The position will be responsible for the quality, organization, and execution of winemaking and Cider activities for our 8,000 to 10,000 case production winery & 55,000 to 65,000 gallons in Cider a year with an annual increase of 10% to 20% per year in cider. The position requires a mixture of hands-on and managerial/supervisory skills, laboratory skills, attention to detail, cleanliness, and is a physically active role.
- Assist in supervising day to day cellar and cider house operations, including harvest, bulk wine and cider, barrels, bottling and canning preparation, sanitation, cellar and cider house organization and cleanliness.
- Provide winemaking and cider making technical support to the Winemaker and production staff.
- Supervise grape and apple juice receiving, crushing, pressing and wine and cider production operations during grape harvest and year-round in cider making.
- Participate in wine and cider tasting at all stages throughout the winemaking and cider making
- process and be responsible for conducting evaluation and recommendation of treatments.
- Write work orders for all production related tasks from harvest to bottling or canning.
- Responsible for supervising, training, and mentoring all cellar employees during harvest and cider making, providing ongoing instruction and support as assigned.
- Work as a team with Winemakers on all blends to insure wine and cider profiles are being adequately filled and bottling and canning requirements are met on time.
- Responsible for adhering to Washington state and federal regulations.
- Assist in educational tastings and tours of the facility, when needed.
- Contribute to the continuous improvement of the winemaking and cider making process and procedures.
- Prepare work-orders, assist in data management, as well as conduct bulk and bottled wine and cider inventories in Innovint and Order port.
- Responsibility for the quality and execution of work performed, review and implementation of
- Standard Operating Procedures (SOP) and safety.
- Safety training and management of compliance issues in the laboratory and cellar environment to provide a safe workplace.
- Strategic and budgetary planning for seasonal projects, harvest activities, staffing, ordering of supplies, etc.
- Maintain wine and job quality goals while managing for good productivity and cost effectiveness.
- Be available for weekend and evening winery events that require interaction with customers.
- Desired Skills and Experience Requirements:
- Degree in Enology, Chemistry or related field.
- Experience with both the practical and technical aspects of the winemaking process and understand winemaking regulatory requirements including all aspects of harvest, fermentation, cellar work, and winemaking analysis.
- Must possess excellent written, oral communication and presentation skills, fluent in English, both verbal and written; spoken Spanish helpful.
- Experience in a premium winemaking environment, and a commitment to growing quality.
- Strong organizational, teambuilding, problem solving skills, attention to detail, with ability to prioritize multiple tasks.
- Lift and carry up to 50 pounds; work on and around ladders, catwalks, uneven flooring, in hot, cold and wet environments; with typical winery chemical exposure and conditions.
- Available to work a varied schedule during harvest season as needed.
- Excellent math skills and accuracy with numbers and strong recordkeeping skills along with a working knowledge of data collection and data analysis.
- Proficient in Microsoft Word and Excel, as well as the ability to learn other related computer programs and databases; like Innovint and OrderPort.
- Valid driver’s license. Forklift certified but not required.
- Operating Forklift and flatbed truck.