Economics: Grape and Wine Production
- 2014 Wine Grape Release – (NASS: Feb 2015)
- 2014 NW Non-citrus Fruit and Nut Report – (NASS: Jan 2015 Preliminary Report)
- 2013 NW Noncitrus Fruit and Nut Report – (NASS: Jul 2014)
- 2012 AgriFacts for Washington – (NASS; Jan 2013)
- 2011 WA Viticulture Acreage Report – (NASS: Sept 2011)
- Historic WA Wine Grape Prices (1985-2013) – (NASS)
- Historic WA Juice Grape Prices (1934-2013) – (NASS)
- Historic WA Grape Prices – All (1908-2013) – (NASS)
- National Agriculture Statistics Service WA Fruit (NASS) - General website for production statistics
- Northwest Grapes: Cost-of-Production Calculators: This online tool replaces printed enterprise budgets for establishing a vineyard in Washington. Tools exist for both wine and juice grape production, using conventional or ORGANIC methods. It provides establishment and annual maintenance costs, based on different scenarios identified by the user.
- AgProfit™ – AgProfit™ estimates machinery, labor, and production input costs as well as fruit size, grade, and total yield for calculating returns for crops with multiple establishment and production years. The program allows you to inflate specific return and input cost items over time to analyze the net present value, internal rate of return, and financial feasibility when implementing a particular technology, making minor changes to returns or input costs, or comparing cropping systems.
Economics and Budgets
- WESTERN WA – Establishing an Organic Vineyard (2009) – A report from the WSU-Mt. Vernon wine grape trials. Includes a budget for establishment costs, as well as methods for determining establishment costs.
- WESTERN WA - Establishing a Pinot noir Vineyard in W. Oregon- OSU #EM8969e. The Willamette Valley budgets have some similarities to western WA production.
- Marketing Washington Wines at the Wholesale Level – WSU #XB1015E
- Northwest Winery Cost-of-Production Calculator
- Small Winery Investment and Operating Costs – WSU #EB1996
- Bulk Winery Investment and Operating Costs – WSU #XB0997E
- WineryWise: A Washington Guide to Sustainable Winemaking – WAWGG
- Writing a Business Plan: An Example for a Small Premium Winery – Cornell University
- Winery and Vineyard Feasibility Workbook – Agriculture Marketing Resource Center
CONTRACTS and PROCESSING LIENS
- Getting Paid: Tools for Washington Grape Growers – WAWGG
- Grape Contracts – 2009 Wines and Vines Magazine
Liens and Commercial Codes
- Filing a WA State Uniform Commercial Code (UCC) – Used for filing a public notice that you (grower) have interest in the property sold (grapes) to another party (winery). This does not replace a contract, but rather, is complementary to one.
- WA Processor Liens - Washington State WAC Code – What you can do if you do not get paid for delivered, contracted wine grapes.
Viticulture Self-Directed Courses
Take individual programs from the Viticulture Certificate Course, and custom-build your knowledge base. A course on Vineyard Economics, and Viticulture – Enology Interface are available, among others.
Want to subscribe to the Viticulture & Enology Extension email Listserve? Click here to sign up!