Economics: Grape and Wine Production
- 2013 NW Noncitrus Fruit and Nut Report – (NASS – National Agricultural Statistics Service: Jul 2014)
- 2013 Wine Grape Report for Washington – (NASS – National Agricultural Statistics Service; Mar 2014)
- 2012 AgriFacts for Washington – (NASS – National Agricultural Statistics Service; Jan 2013)
- 2011 Viticulture Acreage Report for Washington – (NASS – National Agricultural Statistics Service)
- Historic Wine Grape Prices (1985-2013) for Washington – (NASS)
- Historic Juice Grape Prices (1934-2013) for Washington – (NASS)
- National Agriculture Statistics Service WA Fruit - General website for production statistics
- Northwest Grapes: Cost of Production Calculators – This is yet another tool for growers to use to evaluate the costs of production and establishment. The Northwest Cost-Of-Production Calculators were made possible with funds from a grant partnership between the Washington Wine Industry Foundation and the United States Department of Agriculture (USDA) Federal Crop Insurance Corporation (FCIC), through the Risk Management Agency (RMA) titled: Grower Decision-Making Tools for Grapes and Tree Fruit.
- AgProfit™ – AgProfit™ estimates machinery, labor, and production input costs as well as fruit size, grade, and total yield for calculating returns for crops with multiple establishment and production years. The program allows you to inflate specific return and input cost items over time to analyze the net present value, internal rate of return, and financial feasibility when implementing a particular technology, making minor changes to returns or input costs, or comparing cropping systems.
Economics and Budgets
- WESTERN WA - Establishing a Pinot noir Vineyard in W. Oregon- OSU #EM8969e. The Willamette Valley budgets have some similarities to western WA production.
- Marketing Washington Wines at the Wholesale Level – WSU #XB1015E
- Small Winery Investment and Operating Costs – WSU #EB1996
- Bulk Winery Investment and Operating Costs – WSU #XB0997E
- Northwest Winery Cost-of-Production Calculator - Website
- WineryWise: A Washington Guide to Sustainable Winemaking – WAWGG
- Writing a Business Plan: An Example for a Small Premium Winery – Cornell University
- Winery and Vineyard Feasibility Workbook – Agriculture Marketing Resource Center
CONTRACTS and PROCESSING LIENS
- Getting Paid: Tools for Washington Grape Growers – WAWGG
- Grape Contracts – 2009 Wines and Vines Magazine
Liens and Commercial Codes
- Filing a WA State Uniform Commercial Code (UCC) – Used for filing a public notice that you (grower) have interest in the property sold (grapes) to another party (winery). This does not replace a contract, but rather, is complementary to one.
- WA Processor Liens - Washington State WAC Code – What you can do if you do not get paid for delivered, contracted wine grapes.
Viticulture Self-Directed Courses
Take individual programs from the Viticulture Certificate Course, and custom-build your knowledge base. A course on Vineyard Economics, and Viticulture – Enology Interface are available, among others.
Want to subscribe to the Viticulture & Enology Extension email Listserve? Click here to sign up!