Name That Weed
Proper management and control of weeds starts with proper identification. What happens when there are several “common” names for the same weed, or several weeds that share the same common name? To help clarify this, the Weed Science Society of America has an approved list of common weed names; these common names are what you will find on an herbicide label.
General Weed Management
- Invasive Weeds of Eastern Washington – WSU #EM005
- Managing Herbicide Resistant Weeds (.pdf) – PNW 0437
- Managing Glyphosate-Resistant Weeds in Orchard and Vineyards (.pdf) – UC-Davis IPM
Organic Weed Management
- Weed Management in a Newly Established Organic Wine Grape Vineyard (.pdf). February 2011. (Miles, C., T. Miller, J. Roozen, C. Bolton, M. Olmstead, and J. King). Results of a 2-year weed management trial in a new organic vineyard at WSU-Mount Vernon NWREC.
- Weed Management in Organic Vineyards (UC-Davis). This website discusses weed management before and after planting, vine row and middle of vine row management.
Specific Weeds and Identification
- WSU Weed Identification Service
- Weed Factsheets:
Herbicide Resistance Action Committee (HRAC)
HRAC is an international working group dedicated to developing weed management strategies that prevent the development of herbicide resistance.