2020 – Viticulture Intern Boot Camp
May 21 @ 8:00 am - 5:00 pm
This all-day workshop is targeted to provide a baseline level of knowledge to company interns specializing in activities or training related to Washington State viticulture. The idea is to train interns in: 1) What Happens Throughout a WA Growing Season, 2) Pest and Disease Scouting, 3) Cold Damage and Yield Estimation, 4) Nutrient Disorder Identification and Understanding Fertilizers, and 5) General Internship Planning and Organization. Participants will have both in-class and in-vineyard experiences, and will also begin to develop a resource guide they can reference throughout their internship and beyond.
Individuals classified as “interns” in a Washington State Viticulture industry-related field (vineyard management, crop consulting, etc). Individuals must be registered by a Washington State employer, and preferably be a student pursing a post-secondary school degree in viticulture or a related field.
After participating in this boot camp, interns should be able to:
- Understanding the timing of major viticulture activities in Washington State vineyards.
- Identify major pests and diseases in Washington Viticulture, and how to best scout and sample for them.
- Be able to identify cold damage, and understand how and when to best estimate yield in vineyards.
- Be able to distinguish between most major nutrient deficiencies, read a soil and tissue test report, and understand basic fertilizer calculations.
- Be able to effectively plan out their internship reports, and learn how to be proactive in engaging their internship mentors.
Online registration will open on April 1, 2020, and will close May 11, 2020. Registration is limited to 30 interns for the 2020 session, and is available on first come, first served.
Agenda (Subject to Minor Changes)
- 8:15 – Welcome
- 8:30 – Roundtable Introduction
- 8:45 – Module 1 – A Viticulture Year in Review
- 9:15 – Module 2 – Pest and Disease Scouting – Classroom
- 10:00 – Break
- 10:15 – Module 2 – Continued
- 11:00 – Transition to Field
- 11:15 – Module 2 – Pest and Disease Scouting Activity – Vineyard
- 12:00 – Transition to Classroom / Lunch
- 1:00 – Module 3 – Cold Damage Assessment and Yield Estimation – Classroom
- 1:45 – Transition to Field
- 2:00 – Module 3 – Yield Estimation Activity – Vineyard
- 2:30 – Return to Classroom / break
- 3:00 – Module 4 – Vine Nutrition and Nutrient Disorders – Classroom
- 3:45 – Module 5 – Professional Development and Optimizing Your Internship Experience – Classroom
- 4:30 – 5:00 Session Wrap-up
Anyone attending this program who requires auxiliary aids or services, please contact Michelle Moyer at 509-786-9234 or firstname.lastname@example.org. Extension programs and employment are available to all without discrimination. Evidence of noncompliance may be reported through your local Extension office.