Department: Production (Cellar)
Direct Manager: Winemaker and Production Manager
Maryhill Winery, located in the Columbia River Gorge, is seeking a full time laboratory technician to join our team. We work with 30 varietals in lots big and small, from growers in 170 mile range. Production is approximately 90K cases/year.
This position is responsible for all wine and juice analysis, QC for the bottling line and data entry.
We are looking for someone who has some experience in a laboratory setting and can maintain the highest work and quality standards. This position reports to the production manager and winemaker.
PRIMARY DUTIES AND ACTIVITIES include the following. Other duties may be assigned:
- Collects samples from tanks and barrels and perform all routine analysis.
- Daily setup and calibration of lab equipment. (pH meter, Spectrophotometer, DO Meter, turbidity meter etc.)
- Prepares and standardizes solutions needed for analysis.
- Responsible for the accuracy of all lab analysis.
- Perform upkeep and maintenance of all lab equipment.
- Ensure precision and accuracy of analysis by calibrating and standardizing equipment/solutions on a routine basis.
- Be knowledgeable in and apply all standard operating procedures.
- Recognize results that are out of range, communicates discrepancies and reanalyzes.
- Perform all necessary lab analysis when bottling, including QC before, during and after.
- Certificate or better in Chemistry, Enology, Fermentation Science, or related field.
- Previous lab experience required.
- Basic knowledge of winery and cellar operations.
- Ability to communicate and follow verbal instructions.
- Ability to understand any safety requirements and cautions.
- Strong organizational, problem solving and analytical skills.
- Ability to work independently and multi-task.
- Ability to lift/move 50 lbs.
- Ability to climb up and down stairs/ladders.
During the harvest season, this position may require working nights, weekends and extended hours. The ability to work flexible hours is required.
Salary: Hourly, DOE + Benefits