Calling all future farm and vineyard managers! Bhakta Farms is looking for farming interns to join our team this summer on our Shoreham, Vermont 800+ acre farm to help us plant and nurture our orchards and vines. It’s an exciting time for us as we’re getting ready to launch new spirits and we’re planting new fruit trees, several grape varieties and a few other crops. These new orchards and vineyards in time will be distilled at Bhakta Farms and turned into premium spirits. This is the beginning of our American product pipeline.
There’s also a large renovation and revival project in progress, whereby we are restoring our barns and several homes on the property. It’s a busy and vibrant time for us here at Bhakta Farms!
Bhakta Farms is a family-run business with the simple goals of revitalizing old farms, producing exquisite spirits (among other things), and ultimately reviving America. Simple goals, but not easy ones. Founder Raj Bhakta led the rye whiskey boom with the creation of WhistlePig Whiskey and pioneered the farm-to-bottle ethos. In 8 years, Raj grew WhistlePig to one of the most iconic whiskey brands and a business worth hundreds of millions of dollars. The stakes are higher now: we have a farm in Vermont, a ranch in Florida, and a chateau in France, all of which have the potential to produce the grapes, apples, and grain that are the foundation of distilled spirits. We have secured the oldest and best spirit in the world, and our new portfolio will grow from there.
This position is based in Shoreham, Vermont, but there will be occasional travel to our 1000-acre ranch in Vero Beach, Florida where we have sugarcane, and Chateau Bhakta and cellars in the province of Gers, France. Any travel and necessary travel expenses will be covered.
Duties include but are not limited to:
- Planting of trees and vines. Study and understanding of agriculture and/or viniculture.
- Monitor contracted vineyards for pests, diseases, and other cultural practices associated with viticulture.
- Assist in collecting and entering data for estimating crop yields.
- Collect maturity samples from contracted vineyards.
- Ability to work independently under the direction of the Farm Manager.
- Must possess a valid driver’s license.
- Must also have experience working on a farm, and very importantly, the willingness to pitch in to do other farm tasks as needed. We are a small team so everyone does a bit of everything – carpentry, field maintenance, using farm equipment, working with horses and other farm animals, as well as helping us bottle and package our new products.
Physical Requirements/Work Environment:
- Must be able to spend long periods of time standing, walking, bending, or crouching in the fields.
- Ability to stand and walk over rough or uneven terrain.
- Prolonged outdoor exposure in a range of weather conditions.
- Must be flexible with scheduling and willing to work long hours during crop estimation periods and harvest.
We have 2 Agriculture/Viticulture Internship positions available immediately through September. We would ideally like to hire a recent graduate who could be interested in staying on full time in a permanent role come September, but we are flexible. The most important thing is that we find smart, good, fit, hard-working, energetic and ambitious people to join us.
Please note this is one of several intern and junior positions available at Bhakta Farms across the business in different departments. We want to build an ambitious young team to join us and be at the heart of our organization.
What we’re offering:
- This is a summer internship with opportunity to extend or grow into a full-time position with the company.
- We are offering full room and board, credit if needed and bonus potential.
- Pay negotiable.
- Travel and expenses paid (if required)
How to apply:
- Please send in cover letter and resume to email@example.com