GRENACHE LLC is hiring …
CHIEF VINEYARD LEADER
Are you passionate about growing and making wine? Are you a big dreamer who focuses on execution, looking for an opportunity to roll up your sleeves, jump into a leadership role at a start-up winery, and make an impact on wines in Washington?
Join us in changing the winery landscape in the Pacific Northwest! We are a start-up winery with a test vineyard, ready to make our first vintages. We are at the forefront of shaping our business, and are seeking a skilled and inspirational viticulturist to partner with us.
The Chief Vineyard Leader & Winemaker position is critical to our small team – responsible for growing and producing the highest quality wines, running a safe, clean and orderly cellar, cultivating strong partnerships with growers and industry partners, and connecting with our customers.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
This unique opportunity will allow you full autonomy to:
• Run a small vineyard (~425 vines, 7 varietals)
• Lead vineyard scouting and monitoring
• Estimate cluster counts, weights and crop load
• Perform preharvest cluster sampling
• Lead the harvest, including picking, delivery of fruit to winery, machine application and removal of bird netting
• Help build out our new winery with cellar equipment, supplies, etc.
• Work with owners to define and achieve stylistic goals and product development through proactive harvest, winemaking, cooperage and aging decisions
• Monitor aging wines for fault and quality
• Run and/or oversee all lab work
• Perform all cellar functions including but not limited to: sanitation, barrel preparation, barrel maintenance, bottling, filtration, forklift operations, equipment maintenance
• Manage/perform harvest functions, including but not limited to preparation, logistics, documentation, destemming and crushing process, fermentation, and blending process
• Keep up to date on winemaking best practices, trends and techniques
• Ensure compliance, record-keeping (technical and winemaking notes) and budgeting
• Interact with customers to create a memorable tasting experience
• Viticulture majors preferred but please note this in an integrated viticulture/winemaking internship
• Must be able to work mid-June to mid-November
• Due to industry and harvest needs, some weekend work required
• Must be a team player and have a strong work ethic
• Students whose primary language is not English must have conversational English
• Commitment to a strong safety culture and continuous improvement
• Be scrappy, innovative, adaptable and think outside of the box
• Desire to be part of something big and fun!
• Good communication and leadership skills
• Maintain a safe, clean and orderly cellar
• Ability to listen, follow directions and accurately carry out the project to completion
• Ability to walk distances, including steep hillsides
• Ability to lift 50 pounds
• Must be non-smoker
• Forklift training and certification preferred
• Tractor training and certification preferred
• Experience with G-Suite (Google Docs, Drive, etc) and wine tracking systems
• Must have a valid driver’s license and clean DMV record
• Must be able to work long hours, up to 6 days a week, in different kinds of weather
Our vineyard is managed sustainably with limited inputs and are hand harvested. Our vineyard season starts in January with pruning, followed by bud break in spring, and the vines are nurtured and managed until harvest in September and October. This is an opportunity to learn and experience the science and art of grape growing. You can also learn and work though harvest in a family owned and operated winery that grows and harvests seven different grape varieties for the production of hundreds of bottles of quality wine. This is an unpaid-to-minimally paid position for year #1, yielding invaluable experience and a launch pad for exponential growth in the industry! With the wine industry so small, please be assured that your interest will be kept confidential. Please send resume and compensation requests to email@example.com, to be considered in the first round of interviews.