Are you in the business of growing great grapes? Ste. Michelle Wine Estates is in the business of making great wine because we value our vineyards and the art of wine-making.
We are currently seeking candidates for a Viticulture Intern to join our team at Erath vineyard in Dundee, Oregon. This person will have learning opportunities and practical training through hands-on participation related to viticulture, which promote professional development with a commitment to pursue excellence.
Duration of Internship: May 2020- September 2020 (flexible in accordance to University course schedule)
What you will do:
- Accurately collect viticulture field data which can include, but is not limited to:
- Pest and disease levels and damage assessments.
- Cluster counts, cluster weights.
- Vine counts, vine weights.
- Shoot elongation measurements.
- Soil sampling.
- Petiole sampling.
- Collection of fruit samples (If working through harvest).
- Utilizes technology to obtain vineyard data.
- Will occasionally provide assistance with research projects within the vineyards.
- Perform other related duties as assigned.
- Work is performed primarily in the vineyards with varying weather conditions.
- Must be able to lift up-to 40 lbs.
- Must be able to operate an ATV on rough terrain for extended periods of time.
- Must be able to work extended hours outdoors in inclement weather.
- Must be able to walk up and downhill on steep and uneven terrain.
- Perform repetitive tasks,
What you will bring:
- Must be at least 21 years of age
- H.S. diploma or equivalent required.
- Must have a valid driver’s license and a safe driving record.
- Completed degree or currently enrolled in a plant science or related field preferred.
- Proficient in Word and Excel.
- Ability to carry out direction both verbally and/or in written form.
- Ability to manage time and prioritize workload.
- Ability to read, write, speak and understand English (Bilingual candidates a plus).
- Ability to work autonomously.
- Ability to work extended hours.
- Ability to work in extreme and varying weather conditions.
- History of responsible use of alcohol and other appropriate conduct, as well as fitness to be licensed, permitted, and/or certified by state and/or local regulatory bodies.
Who you are:
- You are curious and continuously learn and grow your capabilities.
- You respect and value the power of conversation to bring people together, learn and solve problems.
- You value inclusion and work to create an environment where everyone feels welcomed and every voice is heard.
- You are innovative and have the courage to pursue new ideas.
- You make an impact by being bold and taking action.
We believe in developing the leadership potential of our employees by providing opportunities for training, development and advancement. The company may provide a monthly housing stipend.
Some college or better.
Equal Opportunity Employer/Protected Veterans/Individuals with Disabilities
The contractor will not discharge or in any other manner discriminate against employees or applicants because they have inquired about, discussed, or disclosed their own pay or the pay of another employee or applicant. However, employees who have access to the compensation information of other employees or applicants as a part of their essential job functions cannot disclose the pay of other employees or applicants to individuals who do not otherwise have access to compensation information, unless the disclosure is (a) in response to a formal complaint or charge, (b) in furtherance of an investigation, proceeding, hearing, or action, including an investigation conducted by the employer, or (c) consistent with the contractor’s legal duty to furnish information. 41 CFR 60-1.35(c)