Hedges Family Estate is one family owned and operated winery on Red Mountain that promotes regenerative agriculture and biodynamic winemaking. We are looking to add a skilled and professional Cellar Worker to our team. Under the supervision of the winemaker and assistant winemaker, this team member learns and performs various work assignments that result in the production of high quality wines; ensures that safety procedures, cellar procedures, quality standards and training programs are followed.
• We are family owned and operated and have our roots in the Washington state wine business since 1987
- We own 120 acres of organically and biodynamically certified vineyard land on Red Mountain. Our first plantings on the AVA were in 1991
- Our success has been created through crafting old-world style wines that don’t follow trends and also through our diligent worldwide marketing efforts of the Red Mountain AVA and Washington state
• We have had many long-time employees and treat them like part of the family, it is a fun and energetic place to work with a lively wine and farm culture
• We value sustainability in all aspects of our business. Regenerative agriculture, which includes organic and biodynamic practices and biodynamic winemaking are the top priorities as well as our expanding wine club and loyal followers worldwide
- We do not make factory wines and focus on the wines expressing vintage variation and the land they are grown from
With us you will be able to:
• Work with extraordinarily passionate people in all aspects of the business. You will work closely with the winemaker, assistant winemaker, vineyard manager and sales team
- Be an integral part of a family owned company where everyone knows your name
• Stay sharp and broaden your knowledge base, achieve new heights with a team dedicated to your professional growth
• Enjoy the fruits of your labor with a team of people that are truly passionate about the business and have been for 32 years
Responsibilities: The following reflects management’s definition of essential functions for this job but does not restrict the tasks that may be assigned. Management may assign or reassign duties and responsibilities to this job at any time due to reasonable accommodations or other reasons.
Bring a genuine positive attitude and high energy 100% of the time
• Collaborate with your fellow team members and share your ideas
• Performs routine barrel maintenance, topping, SO2’ing and sulfuring
• Operate all types of pumps and filters including centrifugal, positive displacement, air pumps and bull dog pumps
• Rack and fills barrels. Racks, transfers to and from tanks and to and from barrels
• Tops and stirs barrels
- Performs basic lab functions when required to do so
• Makes wine additions to tanks and barrels
• Loads and unloads barrel trucks
• Conducts pumpovers, rack & return procedures, and all other harvest duties
• Operates forklift safely and is forklift certified
• Works on bottling line dumping glass, packing or palletizing as needed and also diagnoses and help to fix bottling line problems
• Assists in the blending of tanks for final blend compositions
• Cleans and sanitizes stainless steel tanks and all equipment
- Read and perform cellar tasks as directed in the cellar work order and provide feedback via the work order
- Help to maintain general cleanliness and good sanitation in wine processing area.
What you should offer us.
• Bachelor’s degree preferred, high school diploma or equivalent required
• Versatility, flexibility and willingness to work in changing environment from exciting winemaking work to monotonous bottling line work
• Ability to understand and follow written and verbal instructions
• Strong organizational and problem solving skills; sets priorities
• Innovative, positive team player
• Ability to work in small confined spaces and high places, such as catwalks and ladders
• Ability to work extended shifts; including night shifts during harvest typically 6 days a week for 2 months.
Salary and benfits:
• Competitive salary including profit sharing when applicable.
• Employee focused environment.
• 401K plan with company match after one year of employment.
• Vacation, sick, and holiday pay.
• Employee discounts on wine and merchandise.
Physical and Mental Requirements:
The traditional methods of performing job functions for this position are reflected below.
Ability to stand for long periods of time. Job duties are performed primarily from a standing position
2. Full body mobility: Ability to stand; walk; sit; use tools or controls; reach with hands and arms; climb stairs; balance, kneel; talk or hear; taste or smell. Ability to lift up to 100 lbs
- Accurate vision and sense of smell
4. Performs work duties in and outdoors
5. Exposure to temperature extremes and exposure to fumes, gases, toxic chemicals, etc. Contact with water and potentially harmful fumes
6. Appropriate safety gear required