Fortuity Cellars is a small premium winery in the Yakima Valley (Wash.) seeking a full-time winemaker. We are one of Washington State’s newest wineries, having just completed construction of our new winery facility in Wapato, 15 minutes south of the City of Yakima. We recently were named the 2019 SBA Rising Startup of the Year from the U.S. Small Business Administration, and have received numerous wine awards.
The winemaker position is critical to our small team – responsible for producing the highest quality wines, running a safe, clean and orderly cellar, cultivating strong partnerships with growers and industry partners, and connecting with our club members and visitors.
- Maintain a safe, clean and orderly cellar
- Help build out our new winery with cellar equipment, supplies, etc.
- Work with owners to define and achieve stylistic goals and product development through proactive harvest, winemaking, cooperage and aging decisions.
- Monitor aging wines for fault and quality
- Run and/or oversee all lab work
- Perform all cellar functions including but not limited to: sanitation, barrel preparation, barrel maintenance, bottling, filtration, forklift operations, equipment maintenance
- Manage/perform harvest functions, including but not limited to preparation, logistics, documentation, destemming and crushing process, fermentation, and blending process
- Keep up to date on winemaking best practices, trends and techniques
- Ensure compliance, record-keeping (technical and winemaking notes) and budgeting
- Interact with club members and customers to create a memorable tasting experience
- Due to industry and harvest needs, some weekend work will be required.
- College degree required; enology degree preferred
- Minimum 5 years of winemaking experience required
- Reside in or willingness to relocate to the Yakima Valley
- Commitment to a strong safety culture and continuous improvement
- Be scrappy, innovative, adaptable and think outside of the box
- Desire to be part of something big and fun!
- Good communication and leadership skills
- Forklift training and certification required
- Experience with G-Suite (Google Docs, Drive, etc) and wine tracking systems
- Ability to lift 50 pounds repeatedly
- Valid driver’s license, clean driving record and drug screening test required
- Experience driving a truck with a trailer desired, not required
- Experience presenting wines to visitors, club members, industry and wine critics desired
Salary commensurate with experience. Profit-sharing, annual bonus, paid time off and health insurance stipend included.
With the wine industry so small, please be assured that your interest will be kept confidential. Please send resume and salary/compensation requirements to email@example.com by January 15, 2020, to be considered in the first round of interviews. Resumes submitted after January 15 will be reviewed on a rolling basis.