Crossings Winery is looking for either (in the order of preference):
1) full-time permanent winemaker
2) a winemaker willing to work for the next 90 or so days, or
3) a winemaker consultant willing to travel to Idaho several times in the next 2-3 months and advise us on the crush operations.
Here’s the job description for the full-time permanent winemaker position.
Winemaker Job Description
Crossing Winery is 33-year-old family owned destination winery in Idaho. The winery is the core business in a group of affiliated business including vineyards, custom crush, golf course, restaurant, bar, RV park and cabin rentals. The winery leads the group with 30 percent growth each of the last three years. The Winemaker is responsible for overseeing all aspects of the wine production process and advisory roles in managing the vineyard and marketing the wine. This includes strategic direction as well as day-to-day operations. This is a key position in a small management team in a small and growing business in an exciting industry.
- Set and implement direction on the processing of the grapes, production of wine, storage of product and bottling of product
- Set production schedules in line with the capabilities of the facility and the needs of the market
- Manage inventory levels of supplies and materials used in the production of wine
- Maintain records as required for the purpose of meeting government, custom crush and corporate requirements
- Supervise maintenance and repair of equipment and tanks used in the cellar operation
- Work collaboratively with vineyard owners/managers to manage incoming fruit and during harvest
- Determine the need for and manage outside contractors as needed
- Monitor the condition of all wines in an effort to prevent spoilage
- Assist in the development of the product mix and grape needs for coming season
- Work with sales to project the desired product mix based on the past year’s sales
- Collaborate with the winemaking team to plan blends and products to be produced to meet the projections of the sales group
- Lead public and private tours as needed
Personnel Management and Leadership Responsibilities
- Work as part of a leadership team to help set company direction
- Actively engage with company management to work through important business opportunities and changes
- Continually look to innovate winemaking and production and adapt to changing market conditions
- Develop business cases and rollout plans for new initiatives
- Coach/mentor direct reports and provide regular feedback on performance
- Responsible for recruiting, hiring, and discipline of all cellar personnel
- Three years experience in wine production or one year with an Oenology Degree. Work in viticulture a plus. Must be willing to relocate to southwest Idaho.
Send resume, references and salary requirements to Douglas Jones at firstname.lastname@example.org
See our website crossingswinery.com for details.