Winemakers, LLC is seeking a candidate to fulfill the role of Viticulture Technician for our Washington state properties.
In the role of Viticulture Technician, you will assist with the management of three separate vineyards. Alder Ridge Vineyard is approximately 1275 acres in total, and is located in the Horse Heaven Hills AVA, overlooking the Columbia River. Whiskey Canyon and Phil Church Vineyards are located in the Yakima Valley, and combined total nearly an additional 400 acres of wine grapes.
In this position, there is a great opportunity to learn about every aspect of quality wine grape production, from the dormant season through harvest. We grow a variety of tiers and cultivars of grapes, with a focus on attaining the utmost wine quality from every block. We are focused on both innovation and tradition, and embrace the opportunity to grow through utilizing the advancements available in technology pertaining to precision viticulture.
The primary responsibilities of this position include, but are not limited to:
- Scouting of the vineyards via an ATV to record data pertaining to abiotic and biotic stress factors, and key plant phenology stages
- Collection of data that will facilitate the estimation of predicted crop-load, per each individual block
- Utilization of Sure Harvest, our data management software, to record key activities, pest pressure observations, and ongoing data assimilation throughout the growing season
- Communication with vineyard operators and managers to ensure that work orders are being carried out correctly and in a timely fashion
- Soil and plant tissue sample collection to analyze nutrient status
- Fruit sampling at harvest, performing basic lab assays, to provide clients with maturity data as harvest progresses
- Assist with logistics of picking fruit for a large number of clients/wineries during harvest, both mechanically and hand harvested
- Working with the Director of Viticulture and chemical representatives to ensure that a solid and effective approach to IPM is being followed
- Analysis of weather data provided by onsite agweathernet machines
The ideal candidate will have academic qualifications in Viticulture and Enology, or another plant-science based curriculum. Training in the operation of an ATV and other vineyard equipment is provided. In the Viticulture Technician position, you will report directly to the Director of Viticulture.
Some of the benefits/details of this position include:
- Company provided truck and fuel for work use (also used to commute to and from work)
- Provided laptop and phone
- Salary + potential yearly bonus
- 401k and company paid medical insurance
Please forward your resume, qualifications, and a letter of interest to Adam Bright, Director of Viticulture, Winemakers LLC.