Managing a Vineyard
General Grape Production
- WESTERN WA – Growing Winegrapes in Maritime Western Washington – WSU #EM068e
- On-Farm Vineyard Trials: A Grower’s Guide – WSU #EM098e
Organic Farm Transition
- ORGANIC – Organic Transition: A Business Planner for Farmers, Ranchers and Food Entrepreneurs – Western SARE Document
- ORGANIC – Organic Grape Production Guide – Cornell University
- ORGANIC – Organic Winegrowing Manual – UC-ANR #3511
Variety Changing / Grafting-Over
- Chip Bud Grafting for Wine and Juice Grapes – WSU #EB2023
- Illustrated Guide to Field Grafting Grapevines – Northwest Berry & Grape Network (PNW Universities and USDA)
- Grape Genetic Testing and Identification – A service provided by the Foundation Plant Service out of UC-Davis that can determine the variety/cultivar of an unknown grapevine. Clonal identification is currently not available.
Canopy and Crop Management
- Pruning Grapes: An Overview – eXtension.org / eViticulture.org Webpage
- Grapevine Pruning Practices – eXtension.org / eViticulture.or Webpage
- Pruning Basics– eXtension.org Webpage
- Canopy Management for Pacific Northwest Vineyards – WSU #EB2018e
- Vineyard Yield Estimation – WSU #EM086e
- ESPAÑOL–Estimación del Rendimiento del Viñedo – WSU #EM086ES
- Crop Thinning – eXtension.org Webpage
- Understanding Vine Balance – OSU #EM9068
Vineyard Floor Management
- Cover Crops as a Floor Management Strategy for Pacific Northwest Vineyards – WSU #EB2010
- Washington Vineyards “Beauty with Benefits” Project – WSU Website
- Weed Management – WSU Webpage
- ORGANIC – Cover Cropping Systems for Organically Farmed Vineyards. Practical Winery & Vineyard Magazine 2004
Irrigation and Water Management
This information can be found under Irrigation.
Pest, Disease, Disorder and Nutrition Management
This information can be found under Plant Health/Pests, Diseases, Disorders and Nutrition.
Take individual programs from the Viticulture Certificate Course, and custom-build your knowledge base.
Washington Tilth Association is a statewide nonprofit organization dedicated to provide support for and promotion of biologically sound and socially equitable agriculture.
WSDA Organic Food Program – Provides information on the procedures of becoming certified organic, and is a certifying agency for growers.
USDA National Organic Program – The NOP develops and administers national production, handling, and labeling standards for organic agricultural products.
Need a Consultant?
WAWGG, an industry organization in Washington, has a list of private consultants that can help you with the details of vineyard establishment. Click here and scroll halfway through the page.