Organic Vineyard Management
- Grapes, Organic Production. DuFour, Rex. 2006. This guide presents organic management options for diseases, insects and weeds, discusses cultivar choices in terms of disease resistance, and briefly presents marketing ideas for eastern labrusca-type grapes and organic wines. Emphasizes West Coast vineyards. (ATTRA #IP031).
- Cover Cropping Systems for Organically Farmed Vineyards. McGourty, Glenn T. Viticulturist and Plant Science Advisor, University of CA, Mendocino and Lake Counties. September/October 2004, Practical Winery & Vineyard Magazine. Extensive detail regarding cover cropping. For example: what are the top cover crops to use in the North Coast region and reasons for their use.
- A Rapid, Farmer-Friendly Agroecological Method to Estimate Soil Quality and Crop Health in Vineyard Systems. Nicholls, Clara Ines, Miguel A. Altieri, et al. 2004. A practical method for growers to assess the soil quality and crop health of vineyard systems using simple indicators based on comparable field measurements of soil and crop characteristics. Biodynamics, Autumn 2004.
- Organic Grape Production Guide - Cornell University
- WSU-Mount Vernon also has some excellent available resources regarding organic vineyard establishment and production.
Materials and Supplies
- WSDA Organic Materials List and Information – This list is subject to change annually; please check current list.
- WSDA Seed and Planting Stock Guidelines
Washington Tilth Association – A statewide nonprofit organization dedicated to provide support for and promotion of biologically sound and socially equitable agriculture.
WSDA Organic Food Program – Information on the procedures of becoming certified organic.
USDA National Organic Program – The NOP develops and administers national production, handling, and labeling standards for organic agricultural products.
Need a Consultant?
WAWGG, an industry organization in Washington, has a list of private consultants that can help you with the details of vineyard establishment. Click here and scroll halfway through the page.
WSU Grape Pest Management Guide